Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Sleeping Sun

Watch, listen and enjoy...
Nightwish - Sleeping Sun



The sun is sleeping quietly
Once upon a century
Wistful oceans calm and red
Ardent caresses laid to rest
For my dreams I hold my life
For wishes I behold my nights
A truth at the end of time
Losing faith makes a crime

I wish for this night-time to last for a life-time
The darkness around me - shores of a solar sea
Oh how I wish to go down with the sun
Sleeping,
Weeping...
With you.

Sorrow has a human heart
From my God it will depart
I..d sail before a thousand moons
Never finding where to go
222 days of light
Will be desired by a night
A moment for the poet..s play
Until there..s nothing left to say


The lyrics to this song always reminds me of one of my favorite book series', The Coldfire Trilogy.

A man gives up his love, his life, depriving himself of his own humanity thus...in a bid for power and eternal life. For noble enough reasons, Gerrald Tarrant wishes to save his world from the demons that plague humanity. At first. This man...becomes the abject personification of the phrase "Absolute power corrupts absolutely." A loving father, doting husband, faithful palladin turns into a creature not unlike those he sought to destroy. If he wasn't so heartless one might feel sorry for him when the God he once served rejects him.

Yet, he remains stoic in his original quest. All the while however he has been systematically feeding off the fear of man (well, mostly attractive blonde women, but *cough* we all have our tastes). A reader is left wondering at certain behaviors if some sense of humanity remains. For example, there is a hint of compassion in his reasoning at times. Or maybe it isn't compassion at all...perhaps he is merely tired of his inhuman existance and desires to rebel against the very forces that he bargained with in the first place.

What do you do with such a being? Defeat him? Or...ally with him? Twisted though he has become since the murder of his wife and young children; the bargain he made a thousand and more years hence, he finds those that would help him in his cause. One of them, a palladin of the order Gerrald built upon his own faith...



Interested? Read it!

No comments: