Thursday, September 09, 2010

Drowning




I can't breathe
so the cold waves
douse me
arms, shoulders, and throat

I can't hear
so the ocean
sings to me
ears, lips, and tongue

I can't speak
so the tide
listens to me
eyes, mind, and heart.

I gratefully slip under.

"You don't need any
of those body parts
to remember",
it sings

"Your soul
is not of those things."

Just so.

I remember I had a house,
and I let you in

I remember when hard times came,
I tried to shut all the windows
and all the doors against you

But you didn't want to see me
burn in the darkness
with no way to get out of my mess.

You made a choice;
a decision that could kill the strongest in battle

Do you destroy your mighty kingdom
to save my wilted flower?

or to be selfish, and only view my torment
from your shining towers..

You began to break my walls down
You began to let the light in
just to salvage the pieces of who I used to be

But the house blew down;
swept away by a deluge of storms
as was I, carried afar and away

You retreated to your fortress
You rescinded your choice

Preferring instead to lose yourself
in the games and revelry
of what you were born into

The battle you once fought at my side,
lost...

So
The cold waves
douse me
So
The ocean
sings to me
So
only the tide
listens to me.

Once, you sailed your boat near me
I met your eyes
as you watched me drown,

Trembled as you threw me a rope...

And wept salt tears
when I saw you'd tossed in both ends.

1 comment:

White Shield Mike said...

Touching story and poem. I like how it all came full circle in the end. But how sad it is to be, abandoned in the ocean within arms reach of someone who doesn't wish to help